A delicious smoothie is one of the best ways to support your health. Consuming a properly made smoothie provides you with loads of nutrition and anti-inflammatory compounds. And it also tastes amazing!
Adding CBD into your smoothie takes the benefits a step further, but you have to make sure you add the right kind of CBD. If you do add the right kind of CBD it can greatly increase the benefits you’re getting. However, add the wrong kind of CBD and you’re basically throwing your hard earned money out the window.
We at UnCanny love CBD smoothies and have been perfecting the art of smoothie-making for years. In this article, we’ll share with you all the components needed to make a mouth-watering smoothie that will provide the extra benefits you’re looking for.
The Base Ingredients: These ingredients can form the base of every single smoothie you make. They’re all super nutritious, delicious, and blend together really well. Also, all the food ingredients can be easily kept in your freezer, which helps to ensure you have these ingredients ready-to-go at all times.
- Bananas: Bananas are awesome. They’re cheap, easily accessible, freeze well, and provide the perfect creamy base for any smoothie. They’re a great source of fiber and contain many important nutrients, like potassium, manganese, copper, vitamin C, and more.
- Berries: We’ve all been there. You buy a pint of berries and they end up going bad before you can eat them. Instead, we like to buy bulk frozen berries to have on-hand for smoothie creation at all times. We like to use blueberries, which are a potent source of antioxidants and flavonoids.
- Greens: Similar to the issue of fresh berries going bad, we find that all too often greens can go bad sitting in the fridge. Instead, we like to buy a large pack of pre-washed baby spinach and put the whole thing right into the freezer! You don’t have to worry about them going bad and you can easily put a couple handfuls into your smoothie. It’s an amazing way to sneak a bunch of greens into your diet without even realizing it.
- Plant-based milk: Choose your favorite plant-based milk to add a liquid component to the smoothie and help everything blend together nicely. We like oat milk or rice milk… just avoid cow’s milk because for many people it’s inflammatory and irritating. Also, cow’s milk is for baby cows. If you’re reading this you’re probably not a baby cow.
The Boosts Ingredients: These ingredients are what really takes the smoothie to the next level, providing you with extra nutrition and healthy benefits that your body will certainly thank you for. You could use all of these, or just some of these. It’ll be delicious either way because the base ingredients taste great on their own.
- Flax seeds: A low-key superfood that you should be eating every day. Just one tablespoon provides a good amount of protein, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, in addition to being a rich source of some vitamins and minerals.
- Hemp seeds: Hemp seeds are the king of superfoods in many ways. They’re rich in protein and contain the perfect balance of healthy fats, omega-3 and omega-6, that the human body needs. Not only do we put them into every smoothie, but we sprinkle them on nearly every meal. When buying in the store, sometimes the hulled hemp seed is called hemp hearts.
- Greens powder: A scoop of some other greens powder of your choice is a fantastic way to up the nutritional quality of the smoothie even more. Lately, I’ve been enjoying a spoonful of Moringa from the brand Kuli Kuli. Moringa is a superfood plant that has incredible nutritional-stats. A little goes a very long way.
- Peanut butter: Peanut butter is a super tasty addition to the smoothie that also provides you with a great source of healthy fats. When shopping for peanut butter, we always go for the fresh ground peanut butter without any additional salts, sugar, or oils.
- Protein powder: We love a good plant-based protein powder. It’s a great way to up the protein of this fiber and nutrient rich smoothie. It’s also a great way to level-up the flavor. We like to use vanilla flavored protein because it seems to go so well with the base ingredients. One thing to note: when choosing a protein powder, the less ingredients the better! Try to stay away from gums and emulsifiers.
- Mushroom powder: Mushrooms are in a league of their own. The special benefits they provide to your body are found nowhere else in nature. Mushrooms like Reishi, Lions Mane and Cordyceps are highly functional foods, and provide more benefit to your body than nutrients can ever do alone. We love Paul Stamets and his brand, Host Defense.
- UnCanny CBD: Last but not least, we have the mighty Cannabidiol, more commonly known as CBD. The important consideration when adding CBD to your smoothie is NOT TO USE CBD OIL. CBD in oil form is not bioavailable when swallowed into the stomach. So, if you take a 20mg dose of CBD, you might only be getting 2mg absorbed. Instead, use a form of water soluble CBD that has been converted for optimized absorption in the stomach. That’s exactly what we specialize in at UnCanny Wellness.
Consuming a smoothie with the above ingredients can easily be the most nutritious thing you consume every single day. And even if you add every single ingredient listed above (which we recommend) it will still taste delicious. If you want to change it up and make it a smoothie bowl, all you have to do is add less of the plant-based milk and top it with some granola.
There you have it! The ultimate CBD smoothie. It’s anti-inflammatory, nutritious, filled with superfoods and functional foods, and it tastes amazing!